Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sibling Rivalry

Immediately after posting yesterday’s blog I thought to myself ‘what in the hell have I gotten myself into?!?’ because I read through the list and there are some things in there I have no clue how I’ll make it work.  But screw it, “I’m in the mood to kick a little ass.

Today’s requested photographic interpretation is:

A picture of you and the person you have been closest with the longest.

This is really tough because there are a couple different people I could pick for this particular category but in the end I really have to go with, my sister.



No matter where we’ve lived or how many months, weeks, days go by in between times we talk to or see each other, we can still share, literally, anything.  We started out, as most siblings do, in bitter rivalry -- mostly prompted by me who didn’t understand what the hell was going on and why there was another kid in the house after I’d had it to myself for so long.  As a young (like, really young) girl she was quiet to my loud, shy to my outgoing, sweet to my rebellion and I called her the “perfect child” in an effort to annoy the crap out of her and my mom. 

Most of the time it worked; but damn if she didn’t have one hell of an uppercut.  My early memories in our first apartment in Arlington certainly involve standing on the black and white, ‘70’s diamond printed sofa, ready to throw down and promptly getting my sorry ass kicked right onto the pea green carpet.  I knew just how to cut you down with my mouth, she perfected how to sucker-punch that mouth to shut it the hell up.

But as time went on we both came to realize we kind of didn’t have a choice but to be related, we were “in it together” so to speak, and suddenly we noticed that we were reading the same books and magazines, watching the same shows and movies, liked the same music, both loved to make up goofy dances and ate the same food.  We both came to appreciate the other for who we were and all of that pent up crap just kind of fell away.

It wasn’t like a switch got thrown and I can pinpoint the exact moment we stopped beating each other up, in our own ways, it just kind of happened.  One day I was watching the bulbous yellow lamp with its 24” shade whiz past my line of sight as I took a dive onto the floor while uttering something about hating perfect things, and the next we were building a fort, that spanned across our entire bedroom, out of all our blankets and listening to a Culture Club record while laughing.

And although maybe there have been some tears and major disagreements over the years, we stopped the verbal and physical hate that young siblings tend to experience and traded it in for a lot of love and common ground.  I’m looking forward to sharing even more with each other during the rest of our years here on this planet and now, as Matt and I make our way to the southwest where she has called home for well over a decade, we'll have more opportunity to do it face to face.


*****************************************************************
Catch up on anything you missed  30 Photos, 30 Days
*****************************************************************

11 comments:

KC McAuley said...

Great story, Jenn. Siblings are so awesome. I don't know what I'd do without mine. I'll be hanging with my sisters next weekend - and I can't wait!

TheresaJ said...

Great post... enjoyed the read! :)

augustalolita said...

lovely photos ladies <3

Bridgete said...

Great post, and I have to say I had a similar reaction when I actually looked through the list of things I have to find photos for. I might have to get creative for a few of them.

Nice how we both picked family members for our person. Not everyone can say that about ANY member of their family. ♥

Almost Precious said...

Sisters are special. I envy you that you're moving closer to your sis. I have 2 sisters in California and I'd love to be able to live near them. But living in Cali-land requires having one's own Fort Knox, real estate is outrageous there, even since the bubble burst, before the fall of the market it was impossible to purchase a rickety old out-house for less than a million. Now you can buy that same old out-house for only $799,900 !!!

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

Thanks for swinging by everyone :-) Yeah, there's something truly special about the relationship between sisters that's unmatched in any other. The most interesting thing is that even though we haven't lived geographically close for a long time and live very differently, Wendy and I are still so similar in our ways of thinking and viewing the world that we just gel no matter what. I miss her & can't wait to see her soon!

That's one of the very reasons we're not going to Cali Anna, it would be like staying in Boston, just a little more sunshine, and Matt & I both want to try to get ahead a little in life. Same sun in AZ (warmer even!) but much more reasonable cost and actual jobs!

Judi FitzPatrick said...

Tears of joy fill my eyes reading this one. The pics are awesome, too!
Love, hugs, kisses, Mum

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

Aw, thanks mum ♥

#1Nana said...

Lucky you...I always wanted a sister. I had two brothers. I am now quite close to my brother who is closest in age to me, but when we were kids we fought all the time. He is the reason my family had a station wagon with three rows of seats. The rear seat faced toward the back and that was where he sat...so we didn't have to look at each other! Thank God we got through that stage and moved on to mutual respect and support.

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

Funny Jann, I always wanted a brother! Unfortunately I wanted an older brother and as the oldest that was just something that could never be. OMG the "way back" in teh station wagon! Yes!

Anonymous said...

This is so cool! I love this post. Looks like I have alot of catching up to do. :) I am going to get the Girl Scout cookies out of the freezer, turn on some music, and pour myself a glass of wine. I know, its just 3:45 right now, but hey, I work in Boston time, so it's really 6:45! I look forward to all your writing. :)