Monday, April 4, 2011

Good Television?

Today's topic:
A picture of the cast from your favorite show

I proudly admit that I am a product of my generation. Because of that I’m not going to sit here and try to say that the old classics are some of my favorite shows because, frankly, they simply don’t resonate with me. To the moon, you got some ‘splainin’ to do, or beam me up are not what make me tune in every week.

Oh, and anyone who knows me by now knows there’s (as my Wicked Step Mother would say) ‘a better chance of seeing God as we speak’ than me only posting one picture. Enjoy!



I really can’t begin to express my sadness over learning that Perfect Couples is getting kicked to the curb in favor of a new show with some washed up actor who hasn’t been on TV in 20 years. I’m bitter, and begging another network to pick this show up because it really deserves at least three seasons (I’m looking at you USA!). If someone gave it a chance they’d see the perfectly captured dynamic between these six characters. I think the network execs were just afraid because they identified with the “wrong” couple. Matt and I? Dave and Julia, all the way.


Okay, if we’re being 100% honest here I started watching the new Hawaii Five-0 for a couple reasons. First, the original aired in syndication super late night when I was a teenager and it got me through a lot of bouts of insomnia so I wanted to see if this new version measured up. Second, a favorite actor from another show on this list (Daniel Dae Kim) is in it. Finally…seriously, how hot is Alex O’Laughlin? I mean come on! Now I tune in for the witty humor and to place bets if McGarrett will be in cargo khakis with a navy blue tee shirt or a gray tee shirt.


I was twelve when Moonlighting first aired in 1985, probably didn’t get half the jokes, but seriously couldn’t stop laughing at Bruce Willis. A crime show that was also a comedy. They just don’t write ‘em like that these days, it’s all about psychological mind twists and realistic gore not sunglasses and the limbo in the office. A modern day take on (take your pick) “Taming of the Shrew” or “Beauty and the Beast” it sure was fun. Until the second they killed the sexual tension.


How could I not include Sex and the City? They were a little older than I was when it first aired but it couldn’t have resonated more seeing as though I was a single, hard working, slightly crazy, city girl also trying to find love through many (read: way too many) bad dates, relationships, fix ups, etc. If we’re taking the ‘who are you most like’ quiz I’m coming up as Miranda every time.


There was no theme music. There was only a very loose plot at best. There were about 20 actors no one had ever heard of before. There was a beach in Hawaii and a plane crash. And there was Lost. This show definitely was a love it or hate it type of animal. I know a lot of people who couldn’t get past the smoke monster, and that’s understandable it was a quirky plot line. Theology, Godliness, Heaven and Hell and simple, old fashioned true love made this show great. Well that and an encyclopedia’s worth of unanswered questions.


Remember the one with the Yeti? How about the one with the lesbian wedding? Maybe the one when Ross and Rachel took a break was your favorite? No matter which is “The One”, Friends was the one at number one for me. I was living in one of my first apartments (of course mine wasn’t half as nice as theirs but I’m also old enough to distinguish fantasy from reality ya know?) and going through the trials of love, friendship, family, work and life in my early twenties. It was perfectly cast, perfectly written and perfectly captured my generation’s struggle with adapting in a modern world. They grappled with everything from death and disease to marriage, babies, being broke, getting a dream job, making a fool of yourself, making a life for yourself, love, and so much more over the ten seasons it would take an entire blog to list it all. But no matter what they always did it through humor, and the six of them always faced it together. They were more than Friends, they were family.

Some honorable mentions that were close to making this list but I had to bump include Burn Notice, 24 (the first 3 seasons), Biggest Loser, Melrose Place and ER (the first 6 seasons).

*****************************************************************
Catch up on anything you missed  30 Photos, 30 Days
*****************************************************************

6 comments:

Almost Precious said...

A great list of great shows. Though I too can't say I'd put such shows as the scatterbrained antics of Lucy or the over bearing obnoxiousness of Ralph Kramden, on my favorites list, I do have a few oldies that I'll always look back upon with fondest memories. For me it's hard to top the old, original M*A*S*H series, it was humorous with a dark side, it was relevant and even had a moral...all woven together into good entertainment. Oh great ! Now I'll be humming "Suicide is Painless" for the rest of the day. ;)

#1Nana said...

Generation Gap! The only one on your list that I watch(ed) was Friends. I'd never heard of several of them! Hawaii Five O just hasn't captured my interest. I'm in love with Burn Notice, The Closer and Dexter, but for real trash you can't beat any of the Housewife shows.

Judi FitzPatrick said...

What? "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood" didn't make your list? It was your fave for several years when you were a real youngun'.
Except for "Lost" none of your faves would be on my list. Maybe fodder for a future blog post of my own.
Love you, Mum

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

Too funny Anna, I was thisclose to saying something about MASH but I couldn't remember any one thing in particular like the lines from the other shows. I used to watch it with my grandparents but was way too young to get it!

Yeah Jann, Burn Notice probably would have made the cut if I'd seen every episode because its so well written, they're also perfectly cast together. Never watch the Housewives, or any reality shows aside from Biggest Loser. Well except for my recent addiction to Pawn Stars lol

You know what's hilarious about that Mum is I actually considered Sesame Street but in the end they're not shows I'd rent on DVD to watch again so it couldn't make the list. I knew you'd appreciate the addition of Lost considering the number of times we watched together :-)

Bridgete said...

SATC would have made my list. I wasn't quite old enough for it to really resonate with me when it first aired, but I was old enough to understand that love (and sex) is complicated and to appreciate how well this show dealt with all that.

As for the rest, (aside from Friends) I haven't ever watched a single episode so I can't comment. Oh, except for Lost. You know I had trouble getting into that show. I think you're right that you either love it or hate it, and I guess since I didn't love it right away...well. Haha...

I would have loved to make a list but as I'm doing this on Facebook, no list for me.

Anonymous said...

Hawaii Five-O, so good. Moonlighting, I think we were living in our first apartment, have had many homes since. :) It was great!
Sex and the City, loved it. I am still thinking about you relating to Miranda the most. :)
Lost, I wanted to quit watching, but couldn't.
Friends, still watch re-runs.
ER was one of my favorites.