I’ve been pitching for a bunch of different writing gigs lately and this morning THE ideal job posting came across the wires – a travel blog writer. For money. Holy crap! I don’t really have experience writing articles so much but I’m an expert reviewer. Not to mention an expert traveler by car as couples.
So that’s what I based my pitch on. Along with some creative and flowery adjectives describing my own backyard. Hey, travel starts in your own neighborhood right? Especially when you’re an “expat” like me – a Townie in a new land.
But anyway, while I was going back through my blog posts to see what articles I could share as samples of my style, I came across a post from April 16, 2011 titled Something to Do Before I Die. I re-read it and had to laugh. My bucket list that I wrote back then included a bunch of good stuff but the list itself has definitely grown since I wrote that post. But a few things got knocked off and they sure were fun!
Let’s break it down and see where I’m at as of September 2013…
The Bucket List – as originally published on 4/16/2011
• Be on the New York Times best sellers list, “The” list not one of those offshoots
Um, not quite there just yet. Don’t know how soon this one might get crossed off but I’ll keep giving that old college try!
• Travel to Spain, specifically Barcelona
We have some friends with a condo in Rocky Point, Mexico. Their place is right on the beach and only about a 3 or so hour drive from Phoenix. And they go almost every weekend in the summer and keep inviting us to go with them. Why am I telling you this on a point related to Spain? Well, we haven’t even gotten our passports updated to go 3 hours away by car with friends. So looks like Spain is on the back burner for a while, huh?
• Travel back to Amsterdam (with Matt this time)
• Travel back to Ireland
• Travel to Hawaii
We actually have the opportunity to stay with my sister’s BFF and her husband who just recently moved to one of the Hawaiian islands to live permanently. No passport required? Free place to stay? Challenge accepted!
• Travel to Portugal
You know the answer by now.
• Live and make a living in San Diego
Not yet but this is definitely on both mine and Matt’s radar right now. We got home from our anniversary trip and actually seriously started talking about how we could make it happen to get a condo out there that we rent out until we’re ready to “retire” (I use quotes because I’ll be writing until my fingers fall off, the retiring part can be left to Matt).
• See the Red Sox play the Yankees at Fenway in a game 4 for the sweep and kick their sorry asses right back to the Bronx where they belong (if this season is any indication I’ve got a couple years before this occurs)
As predicted, not so much the past couple seasons. Although this one is looking pretty promising. But I can 100% guarantee I wouldn’t be able to catch the game even if it happened as I laid out here. Too much other travel this fall for weddings. We won’t be able to get back to Boston until next summer unfortunately.
• Settle for seeing the Sox beat the Yanks in any regular season game at Fenway
And because we can’t get back east until 2014 I’d settle for seeing it happen on TV.
• Sit beside my Aunt at the finals when the Bruins win the Cup for the first time in 38+ years (yes, I mean this year damn it!)
I did not get to sit next to Sue when they won the Cup but…
GOAL ACHIEVED!!! (Pun intended). That was THE BEST WAY EVER to wrap up our Boston lives before moving to Arizona! The parade was insanely cool and something I’ll remember the rest of my life. And I’m so glad I got to share that day with Sue, Matt and my Uncle!
• Becoming a millionaire, not through inheritance or anything like that, my own blood, sweat & tears
Still working on this one…
• Graduate college
No longer caring to work on this one…
• Be in a big budget movie (I’ll even take a small part like “Friend’s neighbor” or something but it has to be a speaking role [one line will do] and I must be credited
Not yet but I’ll keep it in the back of my mind. I am so not attractive on camera and I really dislike my recorded voice, but maybe with the right lighting and direction, plus the fact I wouldn’t have to be the “star” would help me be better at those parts?
• Make my living as a published author (book tours, readings/signings, etc included)
I think I should’ve said published Writer, not Author, because that’s more in line with my real life goals. And I’m actually making major headway toward that now doing freelance and publishing books. I love my job!
• Get to see all 50 states & spend time in each of them seeing sights (20 down -- MA, NH, VT, ME, CT, RI, NY, NJ, PA, OH, MD, DE, NC, FL, TX, AZ, CA, DC, LA, GA -- of course the only time I really spent in Delaware was at rest stops but what else is there to see, really? I imagine we’ll knock at least 7 more off the list just driving out to our new home and probably another 5 within the first year we live out there. That only leaves 18 more!)
OK, I’m up to: MA, NH, VT, ME, CT, RI, NY, NJ, PA, OH, MD, DE, NC, SC, VA, FL, TX, AZ, CA, DC, LA, GA, TN, MS, OK, AR, NM
That’s 26 states and one Capital. Only 14 to go, mostly stuff in the middle and northwest.
• Drive a race car around a track at over 125 mph
• Go white water rafting again
Done it once so it isn’t as crucial I get back, just something I’d love to do with Matt.
• Get Matt to Disney World
This will happen for our 15 year anniversary. I’m making the declaration now.
Stuff that should’ve been included (some of which is already crossed off)
Catch a Green Bay Packers game at Lambeau
Get to a game at every NHL arena (2 down, only 28 to go!)
Be in the studio audience at the Maury show when the DNA test results are revealed.
Meet Jason Mraz (preferably not as a fan-girl but maybe at a party or something)
Get a byline in a major market publication (I’ll take magazine or newspaper and online is ok)
Publish something that goes viral
Chase a tornado
Own a second home used only for vacations or rental income
Make enough as a Writer that Matt can quit working Corporate (if he wants to)
Learn to surf (even though I’m terrified of sharks I still can’t shake this one)
Get to Australia & New Zealand
I’m sure there’s more but I just can’t think of them off the top right now. Maybe I’ll have a lot to cross off and more to add in another 2-1/2 years. Until then, it looks like the top item on the list should be ‘Update passport’ huh?
What are your top 3 bucket list items?
• • • • • • • • • • •
Content Marketing Strategist and Blogger for hire, Jenn has over 12 years of freelancing experience. Read her blog