Friday, March 2, 2018

The Fall Back

Another Friday, another week that flew by way too fast. Right now, I’m standing in the office in the middle of the day, trying to come up with something creative to write about. Again.

Actually, most of my creative pursuits have felt stagnant for the entire beginning to this year. It isn’t just about this blog. Books, articles, press, are all feeling forced.

I don’t get it really. Coming off the three-book and NaNoWriMo wins of 2017, I looked forward to making 2018 my bitch, too.

But I’m soooooooooooo feeling like an angsty teen.

I don’t wanna. Pout.

Then the adult inside says I better get with the program because words don’t write themselves.

So, instead of stressing and rambling on like this for 800 words, I’m giving myself a mini-pass this week. I’ll get a blog out of a meme I saw floating around Facebook a few months ago.

This is what I do here. Sometimes you get deep, dark, light, breezy, life, career updates that I spend two days writing, sourcing images for, and editing. Crafted, creative non-fiction that reads like I wrote it in two minutes.

Sometimes you get a meme I copied and pasted into a notepad on my phone knowing I’d have at least one week this year I just wasn’t feeling a blog. (Despite my commitment to write every week, I know me way better than that.)

See? I’m so damn proactive I even plan for my desire for a total lack of adulting.

Without further ado…

1. Do you make your bed every day?
I make my bed, max, once a month. Matt usually makes it even though he’s not the one home all day.

2. What's your favorite number?
11 (No, this is not because of Stranger Things, I have loved the number since I was at least 11 years old.)

3. What is your job title?
Collector of information from the world at large, or, 10 times published author.

4. If you could, would you go back to school?
Tried college 3 times already, still haven’t finished, don’t plan to, so, no. And, if they mean any school year prior to college, then that’s a hell no. I'm not Billy Madison.

5. Can you parallel park?
When I worked in Somerville/Cambridge the city required us to move our cars every 2 hours or get a ticket. I had to parallel park for 2+ years, 5 days a week, at least 4 times a day. I can parallel park in my sleep.

6. Name a job you had which people would be shocked to know you had.
Back up dancer for JLo. It isn't true, but I bet some of you were shocked!

7. Do you think aliens exist?
Of course otherwise the universe is just a sad joke.

8. Can you drive a stick shift?
No. Let's just leave it at that.

9. Guilty pleasure?
None. Because I don't feel guilty about the things I like. Loud and proud baby!

10. Favorite childhood game?
Pushing the boundaries of my family's patience.

11. Do you talk to yourself?
All the time, I work alone at home I mean...

12. Do you like doing puzzles?
No. Word, piece, or otherwise I'm not a fan.

13. Favorite music?
Yes. All of it. Generally something with lyrics but I pretty much love all styles. Though my true love is rock.

14. Coffee or tea?
Coffee in the morning. Tea usually only when I’m sick.

15. First thing you remember you wanted to be when you grew up?
The person who drives the street sweeper. Seriously. I thought that looked like the coolest job in the world.

16. Favorite Season?
Summer. But ask me again in August.

17. Truck or Car?
I have a small, square car but I have always wanted a big, bad-ass, black truck with chrome roll-bars, lights, and tinted windows. #environmentaldisaster

18. Steak or salad?
Yes, and can I get a bowl of blue cheese on the side?

19. Cat or dog?
No. Too much responsibility. I can barely manage to write a blog post every Friday. No chance I could handle the needs of another living thing.

20. The most influential person from your childhood?
My Creative Writing teacher, senior year of high school, who first insisted I publish something I'd written.

21. Crafty or all thumbs?
Depends on the day and the craft in question.

22. Biggest fear?
Becoming rich and famous. The good news is, I hear the best way to overcome your fears is to face them...

23. Pessimist or optimist?
Depends on the day and the situation. I like to look for silver linings but sometimes shit is just fucked.

24. Favorite Holiday?
My birthday. What? You didn’t say it had to be a national/international holiday.

25. Mountains or Ocean?
Ocean. The fact I'm not there right now (read: All. The. Time.) makes me sad.

26. People person?
Studying them for future character development, yes. Interacting with them in the larger sense, usually no. There are people I love and cherish and I actually enjoy meeting new people. But “people” are the ones taking the Tide Pod and hot coil challenge too so take that for what it’s worth.

27. White, Milk or Dark chocolate?
The darker the better.

28. Do you like to cook?
Ah hahahaha! I like to eat but loathe cooking.

29. Night owl or morning person?
Ugh, my natural clock leans toward night but I've been conditioned to a corporate clock over the years. Still, never a morning person. See question 14 for how I get around this.

30. Flannel sheets in winter?
Flannel, no. Too static-y. T-shirt material, yes. All year.

Hey, if nothing else, at least the thing was fun. For me, anyway.

And I promise I’ll be back next week with something of a little more substance.


Or not. Writers are weird like that.

• • • • • • • • • • •
In addition to this drivel I also write books, both fiction and non-fiction.
Learn more on my author page.

No comments: