Friday, April 26, 2013

Wedding Weekend

Charlotte: Carrie, you're right, you have to tell him. But not before the wedding. It's supposed to be my week.
Miranda: It's your day. You get a day, not a week.
 
That wasn’t entirely the case in our case when D&D made their way to Phoenix last week for their destination wedding at the Grand Canyon!

They flew into Phoenix on Thursday night and the wedding festivities began! Or, more correctly I should say we all crashed after a really long day and in their case after hours of traveling. They got in late night but Friday it would be on like Ping-Pong.

On Friday my mom and sister got to our place and all us gals went out to shop for flowers. For my wedding my mom, aunts and I made all my flowers so I knew I could put together a couple beautiful custom pieces for D&D. With a red, cream and navy palate we ran around Hobby Lobby and picked our favorites.

Before the shower/bachelor/bachelorette/rehearsal party we threw for them at our place on Friday night I plunked my butt in a lawn chair and pulled together the bride’s bouquet and groom’s boutonniere.




What do you think? D’s step-dad’s ring was tied into the original bow but I don’t have any up close shots of that. I think my mom took a bunch while I was creating it though so I can’t wait to see those!

We had a fantastic party with family and friends new and old. Lots of nostalgia and lots of new in-jokes made. And you know all that stuff is making it into the scrapbook.

On Saturday morning we all got up and all the girls but mom went to get their hair done. Oh and done it was! The motto of the day became “Just keep smiling no matter how big your hair is!”

We hit the road about eleven, got breakfast, and were on the way to the Canyon by noon. So much awesome scenery. And I was so psyched that my friends could see it all for the first time as we led the way up into northern Arizona!


Now we all know there’s a big temperature difference all the way up there but there’s nothing quite as crazy as watching the temperature fall about fifty degrees from the time we left our house to the time the sun set. Luckily the bride wore boots. Smart cookie that one J


I wasn’t quite as smart…


But it didn’t matter. The ceremony was beautiful! When D was sharing his thoughts with D I’m pretty sure every single one of us choked up a little bit. And she was just as gushy. It was so sweet and the first time in a long time I’ve gotten a little teary at a wedding. The JP was adorable and perfect for marrying them. He did a great job keeping things running smoothly out there at the edge of the Canyon.

Matt was fortunate enough to be placed in charge of the rings, he kept calling himself the Ringbearer. Of course he did. But did he ever do a good job at making sure the rings were where they were supposed to be at the right time. Rings were exchanged and so were some sweet kisses and then I cheered them on at the top of my lungs. “Yeah baby!”

My mom went right to work arranging all of us and corralling everyone into some beautiful photos right on the wall of the canyon. We all had to scramble a few rocks to get the right shot. Which cracked up the bride and groom.


Then the sun set and everyone clustered together to conserve as much heat as possible. Holy crap! Thank goodness for heated seats in the Jetta.

Dinner was going to be at El Tovar and so we got there just on time, happened to find parking in the teeny lot and got right up to the host who promptly told us “Can you please come back in eight minutes?” Apparently they run a pretty tight ship around that place. Not five minutes. Not ten. But eight. Sir, yes Sir!

We did as instructed and finally were seated for dinner. Service was wonderful but the prep time was slow. I guess that’s what happens in a fancy restaurant though when you have a party of eight. The food was yummy, we all took pictures and I was instructed I had to give a toast. Which I did, rambling on from the heart for a minute or two. And this time it was the bride who said “Don’t make me cry!”

We did a little after-party back at their room but the cigarettes and wine ran dry and the time ticked away quickly so before we knew it we were heading back to our own room at one in the morning.

“Maybe I shouldn’t be walking out here all by myself?” – Wendy announced as we all started discussing the mountain lion signs we saw dotting the main road to the wedding site. It sure is quiet at night out in the dark woods. We talked loud and stomped our feet to seem as big as possible. Sorry Canyon goers we may have woken up but it was for survival.

The next morning was breakfast and by Sunday night we were all back at our respective homes. D&D were staying with us, D’s dad and step-mom were in a hotel in Phoenix and mom and Wendy headed back home to get ready for the work week ahead.

We spent the next couple days doing virtually nothing and then D&D were off for their real honeymoon on Wednesday. It was a whirlwind week, a blast and even though I’m glad to have my house back to just me so I can work and stuff I definitely miss them already!

Congratulations guys, I love you!



Posted for April 2013 A to Z Blog Challenge W is for Wedding

15 comments:

Karen said...

Gorgeous place to get married. Sounds like a good time!

Judi FitzPatrick said...

Thanks for the walk down "memory lane". Hope they enjoy the honeymoon and their lives together.
Love, Mum

Joan said...

Sounds like a great time together. You look so pretty. The bride too of course. :)

Launna said...

This site looks so beautiful for a wedding... :)

I am so happy for you that you shared these wonderful memories with your friends and family :)

#1Nana said...

I'm looking forward to going to the Grnd Canyon when the spouse retires...he's never been there. He thinks flying over it counts...ugh, no! A wonderful place for a wedding and you looked great. I don't think the hair was big at all.

Rob-bear said...

What an amazing event! It sounds like you all had a great deal of fun! Which is what a wedding is supposed to be.

Blessings and Bear hugs!
Bears Noting

Kathy Cannon Wiechman said...

What a wonderful spot for a wedding! It's so gorgeous there! It sounds like a memorable event for all of you.
Kathy @ Swagger Writers

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

It was a blast & so beautiful!

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

So glad you could be there to share in the fun weekend! love you

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

It was wonderful. Thanks so much! She was glowing :-)

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

We had a blast!

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

You'll definitely enjoy your trip to the Canyon, such an amazing place it looks fake its so vast when you're standing at the edge. The pictures toned down the hair a lot!

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

Absolutely that's exactly what it's supposed to be, and it was :-)

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

So many memories made, it was an amazing day!

Jak said...

That is some fancy crafting you can pull off. Are you going to post more pictures your mother took, or is that more of a FB kind of a thing, I suppose?

Sounds like it was an amazing time, and you were able to catch up with friends (and I thought you said in an earlier post it was the first time meeting the groom? I may be mistaken). I can only imagine the Grand Canyon was awesome. I've never been there, and I am not sure why but I've never thought of weddings there.

Not all weddings go as smoothly as this one lol I'm glad there was no chaos. You and the bride/groom look fabulous :)

I'm glad none of you were eaten by mountain lions!