Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Too Many Topics

As I’ve been writing most of these posts way ahead of time I haven’t had the benefit of going through the whole day for inspiration on the letter at hand. It has forced me to think a lot more about what I want to say and how I want to say it.

So when I get to a day like today with a letter of such commonality it ends up leaving me blank. Because there’s just too many topics for T.

T! The letter T! It’s so easy, just pick anything and it probably has a T involved.

Tea
Tristan Prettyman (who’s singing on my Pandora right now)
Tongs
Toasty temperatures
Travel
Tops
Totally unrealistic character traits
Torture

And so many more I don’t have time (Time!) to go through the dictionary to document them all. So why can’t I just get one of those topics up there as my quick blast creative writing assignment and tell you all about it?

I could tell you how I like to sip a cup of iced tea in these toasty temperatures while listening to Tristan Prettyman and spinning a top.

But that would pretty much be bullshit. I’m not much for iced tea, don’t own a top and really have to be in the mood to listen to Tristan. Even when it is toasty outside.

After my “Blue Shirt” experiment the other day I know that those particular topics above would have a different feeling, resonance, vibe for everyone who reads them. Someone might not know who Tristan Prettyman is and wouldn’t think to write about her. Maybe someone else has never traveled outside their hometown so that would be their travel story. What tale might be told related to tongs?

I think I’ve just been writing so many posts per day at this point I feel like maybe I’ve run out of interesting stories to tell. Or something like that. I’m still rambling on so clearly it hasn’t taken too much of a toll. But I seem to be struggling right now because I’m actually looking forward to getting back to working on my fiction.

Only six more posts though and this challenge is in the bag. Then I can get back to torturing my beta readers with totally unbelievable character traits.

Posted for April 2013 A to Z Blog Challenge T is for Topics

9 comments:

#1Nana said...

Yeah, me too! I haven't written my T yet and I'm a little worried about the difficult letters yet to come.

Unknown said...

These last letters coming up are going to be a real challenge aren't they? Connie
A to Z-ing to the end
Peanut Butter and Whine

Judi FitzPatrick said...

Totally tantalizing treasure-trove of trivia! ;-)

Jak said...

I wish I had done so many more posts in advance. It would have alleviated some of the stress lol. When I am writing on the fly it is a pain, because I always feel pressured for time. I think I have one or two, of these final letters, I can do ahead of time. If I can get the letter of the day done.

Currently nothing for U, but am thinking something short.

Your T worked out very nice!

I would like to get back to my fiction, as well. Almost afraid to attempt to sit down to it again after so long. I've kind of placed it on the back-burner. Next year if I participate I will be a bit more prepared. Final week here!

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

I just started V this morning. The day V is due to post. Should have W done by the end of the day and I am pretty sure I have something for X but Y & Z I'm at a loss.

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

Hey thanks for stopping by Sylvia! I appreciate you following and taking a minute to comment.

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

I'll be doing this to the end as well but yeah, I'm head-scratching for a couple of the letters now! Thanks for stopping by :-)

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

heehee

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

I felt like with my friends/family in town and so much other stuff going on (Blog Book Tour, daily work level, promo, etc) that I had to write out so many in advance or I never would've kept up. But I'm all caught up now. Just in time for the tough letters haha.

Amazing how fast this month flew by!