Monday, April 22, 2013

S is for Fear

We’ve all heard the saying “One step forward, two steps back” and know it’s a convenient theory for why sometimes setbacks appear in our lives. It’s like we’re saying ‘oh well, I really tried but now I’m even further behind’ so we can then absolve ourselves of not venturing further forward.

Are setbacks real? Is there such a thing as writer’s block? Or are devices like this simply a manifestation of fear? A fear of the unknown that exists past our comfort zones. But isn’t it true that once we step a little out of that zone we become comfortable with that newness eventually too?

I like to think so. Because I’ve never seen it proven otherwise.

As a baby I couldn’t crawl, walk, run, speak, spell, carry on a conversation. But I could learn. And as soon as I learned I was trying the new thing in question. As a kid we rarely have fear. We’ll talk to anyone because everyone could be a new friend. We tell people we want to be something grand and fantastic when we grow up because we don’t know anything that could stand in our way of becoming that thing.

As we start to get older there are more roadblocks placed in our way – no you can’t use the car Friday night, you aren’t going to be Valedictorian, I’m sorry but we hired another candidate – so we start to let go of those early innocent dreams of grandeur. But do we have to accept the roadblocks or can we jump over them to get where we want to be?

I think there are times where we have to listen to our inner voice, the one that most of us ignore after we get used to hearing the word no, and allow the early dreams to flood back in. When what we want is buried so deep inside us that it becomes a passion to pursue it and we find ourselves drawn back to it over and over again it’s hard to ignore no matter how many people say we can’t.

Call it a dream or call me easily fooled but I believe that I can overcome my own setbacks by venturing out of the comfort zone I’ve established to get exactly what I want. Because writers block is nothing but fear and I’m tired of being afraid of writing what I really want to say.

Posted for April 2013 A to Z Blog Challenge S is for Setbacks

10 comments:

Kathe W. said...

perserverance and just being downright stubborn
are good traits! Have a terrific week!

Rob-bear said...

Yes, we all have those setbacks — some of us more, some less.

I'm with Kathe — we just have to hang in there! And keep writing. "Be not afraid."

Blessings and Bear hugs!
Bears Noting

Launna said...

Jenn... I LOVED this post... fear is what holds us back... Like you, I want what is outside my comfort zone:-)

Suldog said...

As the eminent philosopher Jagger once opined, "Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind."

Jak said...

This is a great post! A touchy subject with me, though, with the whole writer's block (12 years). It was terrible. You are right, though, it is a manifestation of fear, but I think it is like something to call it by (Writer's Block). What it actually causes for someone. More of a Creative Block as it isn't limited to writing.

I dislike some claims (one guy's in particular) where they claim WBlock is just not accepting that what you are writing sucks. That I just don't believe.

Definitely ignore those claiming that you can't achieve your goals. They are projecting their own issues on to you. It can be a main source of negativity sometimes.

I wish I could channel that "child" and lose a lot of the fears that have build up over time. Fear is the root of all suck lol

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

Sometimes I believe that, other times its hard to remember but I keep trying anyway. I guess that's the perseverance :-)

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

Great advice! Thanks Rob!

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

I won't go run off and do everything outside my comfort zone but pushing a little further all the time couldn't hurt. Pretty soon it'll be second nature.

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

Amen to that.

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

Yeah I can appreciate a creative block. Especially a long one. I really didn't write much of anything after 9/11 all the way through about 2009. I wrote romance girl-meets-boy stories and felt it was inappropriate or something with so much more that was heavy out there to focus on. Silly reason, lightheartedness is always important even in times of tragedy but I pushed it away for a long time. Sometimes we have to live to experience the things that will help free the blockage as opposed to forcing creativity. Inspiration will come when it's supposed to I guess.

Fear is absolutely the root of all suck. Love that!