Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Overdue Books

Nope, not the kind I have to return to the library. In fact I haven’t stepped foot into a library since we moved to the house other than to try to vote last November. Why? I simply have far too many books on my bookshelf that need to be read right now to even consider taking one out.

I’m a slow reader. Painfully slow in fact. Because of that it takes me years to catch up with what’s hot right now. I never seem to get ahead to keep up with the trends. Oh well. Because of that I have some really old books on my shelf that need to be read like asap.

Two friends from the Scottsdale Society of Women Writers wrote and released books last year and I’m in possession of both. Those are at the top of my priority list for must reads.

The first is Words Falling Like Water by Sonya Vaughn, the other CrossRoads by Lori Hicks. I’m really interested in both of their stories and to experience their writing styles because both ladies are fun and sweet people.

In addition to those novels I have Poisoned Pins and Tickled to Death by Joan Hess, Three Cups of Tea by Mortenson and Relin, The Memory Keeper’s Daughter by Kim Edwards, Faithful Place by Tana French, Brain by Robin Cook, and Minding Frankie by Maeve Binchy.

Not to mention my sister just told me she’s got a boatload of mystery/suspense/crime books for me to paw through as well.

It’s going to be a busy summer.

In the spirit of that, I think I’ll go read.

Posted for April 2013 A to Z Blog Challenge O is for Overdue

16 comments:

Judi FitzPatrick said...

Since the library is my favorite place to go, I have trouble not taking anything out, even though I still have about 80 books on my shelves I have yet to read.

Been trying to only take out audio books as the time to listen to them is not a time I could read with my eyes anyway.

Must finish "How the Irish Won the West", then on to make it only 79 to go!

Love you, Mum

Almost Precious said...

Finding time to sit down with a good book is quite the challenge in today's mad paced world. The books waiting patiently for you to peruse them, all sound like they'd give the reader an interesting experience. Oh Lordy ! So much to do, so little time . . . it's become my mantra lately (well maybe not lately, think I started to lament it about the time my first daughter was born. She'll be 49 in a couple of days!)

Kathy Cannon Wiechman said...

I have several to-be-read piles of books. When they get so high they threaten to topple, I start a new pile. Since I write historical fiction, I often have to put aside a book I'm reading for enjoyment to read a non-fiction book on my subject of the day/month/year. Reading is one of my greatest pleasures, & I need to indulge myself more often. Thanks for this post.
Kathy @ Swagger Writers

Words and Guitar said...

Faithful Place is very good. I do recommend reading French's two previous novels first, if you haven't. It isn't 100% necessary, but it adds a little bit to them.

I just finished French's new one, that's pretty good, too.

Launna said...

I have a list of about 8 books, I didn't read as much as I had hoped while I was off... I love reading, yet I don't do enough of it.

I do read a lot of blogs though ;)

Rob-bear said...

I have lots of unread books here. But they're all non-fiction. Maybe some day I'll get around to reading fiction. One can always hope.

Blessings and Bear hugs!
Bears Noting

Joan said...

An afternoon of reading is one of my greatest joys.

Jak said...

I'm a pretty slow reader too. Even going through blog entries take me a while. It doesn't help I seem very easily distracted by pretty much anything.

I've already got 3 borrowed books I have to read, and have yet to start on any. I also have an overdue book from a library (perhaps my old school's library?) from when I was a teenager... I can feel a Seinfeld episode coming on...

Good luck on your catching up!

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

Oh I love the library too but that's the problem...I already have one in my own house lol. Can't wait to hear what you think of the book when you finish! xoxoxo

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

I find the only time I really let myself read these days is when I'm in doctor waiting rooms for one thing or another. That's really not cool because a) I don't want to spend time at dr offices and b) I don't spend enough time there now to ever get through a book!

So true about so much to do so little time. In a world of infinite choices its hard to narrow down what to do sometimes!

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

You're quite welcome Kathy! My fiction doesn't rely as much on reading but it never hurts to expand vocabulary and imagination anyway so I really should carve out more time to do it these days.

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

I wasn't aware she had other books out. Thanks W&G for letting me know. This could be a good reason to run to the library!

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

Same here Launna, I love reading blogs. Maybe I'm just in a different reading/writing place than I used to be and that's why I'm not as drawn to fiction reads these days...something to consider!

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

I feel the exact same way about non-fiction/memoir. So many wonderful stories to read out there, sometimes it seems like too many!

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

It used to be for me too Joan but at some point I decided to get too busy to just sit down and do it. Must change that soon!

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

Yeah that's the same here, about blog reading I mean. It ends up taking me a full day to read or write/respond to comments so I find it hard to carve out the time sometimes. Its probably why I started writing shorter posts, time is always at a premium!

And with that said, catching up today...