Thursday, July 2, 2009

Who Needs Shelter?


“Good day sunlight. I’d like to say how truly bright you are. You don’t know me but I know you. See, you’re my favorite star.”

That is the opening to the song title which is being borrowed as my blog title. I am using it as my mantra now. I have to. Thanks Jason.

As the moat around my new apartment grows, I am taking some time to put together an iTunes playlist which includes only songs that have lyrics about the sun, summer, good weather or the word sun in the title. Oh summer, how I will try to encourage you to show up by playing this wonderful collection of awesomeness at top volume.

It is also imperative that I follow the old adage ‘Jesus Saves’ and depress that little icon here in the upper left corner of my Word doc every so often. Normally a little rain (OK, a lot of rain) would not have me paranoid about losing power but earlier this morning I actually heard a sizzling sound outside the window and as my head reacted so my eyes could see what it was, I turned in just enough time to watch lightning brighten up the entire sky. Simultaneously thunder clapped and a car alarm only a few houses away went off. Fuck. That one even scared me a little and I love storms. Ever since that happened the lights have been dimming every five or so minutes, even though the lightning has, for now, moved on.

So for the rest of you who are also enjoying the throes of SAD, I present you with my ultimate “kick rain’s ass” playlist! Rock it with the windows down, it’s probably time to wash the inside of your car anyway and why not take advantage of all this free water right? Now if only I could figure out where to pick up some free soap…

Sunshine Day -- The Brady Bunch

Who Loves the Sun -- Velvet Underground

Summertime -- DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince

Summer Wind -- Frank Sinatra

It’s Magic -- The Cars (“Summer. It turns me upside down. Summer, summer, summer, it’s like a merry go round.)

Ain’t No Sunshine -- Bill Withers

Black Hole Sun -- Soundgarden

Summer of ’69 -- Bryan Adams

Staring At the Sun -- The Offspring

Cruel Summer -- Bananarama

Don’t Let the Sun Go Down On Me -- Elton John

All for Me -- Melissa Ferrick (Standin’ on my front porch, sun in my eyes. Perfect iced coffee, smilin’ all over my insides.)

Sunshine on My Shoulder -- John Denver

You Are My Sunshine -- Elizabeth Mitchell (Might be original)

Ray of Sunshine -- Jason Mraz

Stay (Wasting Time) -- Dave Matthews Band (And it was so hot outside, oh, you could fry an egg)

Under the Boardwalk -- The Drifters (Where the sun beats down and melts the tar up on the roof)

All Summer Long -- The Beach Boys

Margaritaville -- Jimmy Buffett (This song is summer!)

Island in the Sun -- Weezer

Summer Nights -- John Travolta & Olivia Newton John

I Can See Clearly Now -- Jimmy Cliff (It’s gonna be a bright, bright, sunshiny day)

Walkin’ On Sunshine -- Katrina and the Waves

Saturday In the Park -- Chicago (I think it was the fourth of July)

Boys of Summer -- Don Henley

Those Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Days of Summer -- Nat King Cole

Endless Summer Nights -- Richard Marx

Summer in the City -- The Lovin’ Spoonfull

Here Comes the Sun -- The Beatles

Blister in the Sun -- Violent Femmes

I could go on for about sixteen hours with everything I have in my collection within these criteria. Never mind the fact that I have a CD called ‘The Sounds of Hawaii’, tons of ukulele music and a library of other music that screams summer to me (think Brown Eyed Girl, the Beach Boys, Jimmy Buffett, etc). Funny, since I started writing this the rain has stopped and it looks like it could even get a bit bright outside.

Here is to the power of positive music! What are your favorite summer songs? I want to add them and up the chances of that season making an appearance this year.

7 comments:

Andrea said...

I loved this post since, just like you, I'm a huge music lover! It does have the power to change moods (and weather) :). SO...here's a few current summer faves...
I wanna make her love me - Stevie Wonder
Heartbreaker - Ray Charles
Bonafide Girl - Shaggy
Hard to Handle - Otis Redding
Honey Bee - Zee Avi

Chris said...

Margaritaville . . . YES!

And great job putting the Bradys on there. "I think I'll go for a walk outside now, the summer sun's callin' my name . . . "

Bree said...

Great playlist! I'd add "Surf Wax America" by Weezer and "Holiday from Real" by Jack's Mannequin for maximum summer impact. Power of positive thinking! I'll send some sun your way. :D

Bridgete said...

Love it! I'll be grabbing whatever I don't already have and putting together this mix so I can join you in the weather-changing power!

ginger said...

i'm not knockin' the rain...it's bringing us somoe beautiful crops and it's keeping me from diminishing in the dry, colorado summer heat...i like summer, but the heat takes a toll on me.

then again, i don't have a beach to long for here, haha.

i hope your practical magic is a success jenn :)

Judi FitzPatrick said...

Well, since I'm an old fogie, some of the songs on your list are new to me, but it sounds like a great idea.

How about these:
Theme from "Summer of '42"
Theme from "The Endless Summer" - The Sandals (how summery is that?)
"Summer Night" - Bill Morrissey
"Sunshine Sunshine" - Tom Rush
"Summer of '78" - Barry Manilow
The Summer portion of Vivaldi's Four Seasons

Have fun and bring on the heat and sunshine!

Peace and Love and Hugs,
Mum

Rosebud Collection said...

Our oldest daughter is a lover of all music. Have to admit, some of your titles are my favorites. Now about that lightening..Whew! You know how I feel about that. Would you believe a few houses were hit here the other night from lightening. I can tell you, there wasn't a saint in heaven I didn't call on for help, when that storm hit.