Friday, October 17, 2008

Randomness Goes On Forever

It happened again, the dreaded tag. It has gotten to the point where I do not think it is possible to share anything else random about myself without revealing way too much information. Although, that has never stopped me in the past so why should it stop me now?

Because it was my Mom who tagged me it would be impossible for me to blow this one off and hope they did not notice I never completed it. I know my Mom and six months from now I would get a comment reading something like “Hey why did you never do that blog tag I tagged you for here?”

Instead of waiting around for that comment, here are the required seven random facts about myself. As per usual however I will not outright tag anyone else but open it up to say that anyone reading can feel free to play along if they so choose.

1. Only very rarely do I ever eat breakfast, generally I don’t eat anything until about eleven. (Have I shared this before? Déjà vu?)
2. Speaking of…I love déjà vu. There is something so mysteriously excellent about not being able to explain the feeling that something happened before but there is no real recollection that it did.
3. Since I finally got my first cleaning in ages this past July, I now floss every day.
4. Shoes and socks make my feet ache for summer. I like to be barefoot as much as possible.
5. When I handwrite anything it is in all caps and never in blue ink, I am a fine tip, black ink kind of gal.
6. If I were independently wealthy and had time on my hands I would spend a couple weeks at my sister’s house this November and take her to this show. I am quite sure she would fall in love instantly as so many of us do. Sigh.
7. After just coming out of my weirdness phase I am now at a place where I feel like I can accomplish anything -- write, blog, sew and paint all in one day and still have time to watch the Sox trounce the Rays last night.

So now that I got that out of the way here are some recent projects I have completed.

I was commissioned by one of my Mom’s friends, M to create a bag. Her grand daughter (who I happened to go to High School with, man this town is way too small) is having a baby shower in November and M wanted to give her a really nice handmade diaper bag as her gift. She is taking underwater birthing classes and is a diver so the request was made for something watery and with enough pockets for all required baby related items. This was created from a pattern, the first I had ever completed. Also the first zipper I ever installed. That is why my Mom did the zipper and I just swore a lot.


M picked up the bag this week and she was thrilled! That of course made me so happy because it took well over two weeks from purchase of fabric to completed bag. I learned so much though and will be applying those techniques to other bags in the future; hopefully even braving a zipper install all on my own. I have named it Labor of Love.

I booked a table at the First United Methodist Church Craft Fair in Melrose on November 15. This is my first fair and I am a little nervous but just pouring my positive energy into all of the items I am creating for it! I will only be showcasing fabric items like bags, placemats, coasters, etc. Here are a few recently completed items that will make their way to my table. If you are in the Massachusetts area and want to stop by to say hi feel free, I would love to see you! The info - 645 Main St Melrose, MA, Saturday November 15 from 9:00 – 1:00.




Tonight Jason is playing at The Orpheum in Boston but instead of going to see him Matt and I will be enjoying a lovely pasta dinner, then playing a nail biting game of Monopoly, with my Dad and Evil Step Mom*. It will be a bummer to know he is only seven miles away singing his little avocado off and I will not be there but in this past year I have had the opportunity to see him live twice, both times about twenty feet from the edge of the stage and both times meeting people I had never met and now call friends. I should not be so selfish in wanting that ticket and just be glad that maybe someone else (that may have not been able to go if I had) will now get the opportunity to realize how fan-freaking-tastic he is live. I will call this my passive way of sharing the love.

So whoever you are that got that ticket have the most amazing time at the show and I will say to you both congratulations and I’m sorry -- congratulations for discovering the most kick ass, talented, Hottie McHotterson making music today and I’m sorry because once you feel the Jason love there is no turning back. Enjoy the ride.

* The disclaimer for those of you new readers out there, this is what she calls herself and it is totally in jest. She is awesome, fun and not actually even married to my Dad. Although after eleven years together they might as well be, I guess its one of those “if it ain’t broke” type situations.

20 comments:

Karen said...

The bag looks beautiful! I can't sew a straight line!

Debbie Gootter said...

Great bag!

Judi FitzPatrick said...

Thanks for the "tag" info. Nice to know you are in a better place.
Love all the bags, you'll do great at the fair.
Peace and hugs and love, Mum

caf said...

rockin the dark is so fun!

pastrywitch said...

I have installed one zipper. by hand. ick.
Your bags are fabulous - hope the fair goes really well for you.

ginger said...

as someone who owns one of your clutches, i want more! the workmanship and quality are superb and your sense of style is amazing. those clutches hold more than you'd think too. i love the plaid made from the men's shirt. great stuff! i've been meaning to ask you about putting a widget to your page on my site. is chuckastone widget-friendly?

thanks for the link love. i giggled when i rolled over that one. sorry you can't see jason tonight, but you're right, twice in one year is a gift...huge gift. i'll say hi to him on the 27th for you. :)

xoxoxo

ps- i heart the deja vu. i had a 'future vu' once...weird. i'll have to blog about it sometime.

Maine-y-ac said...

Love the bags! Sorry you didn't get to see Jason again, but hope you enjoyed the pasta.

Bridgete said...

Aw, it's always nice to know that someone you consider a friend also considers you a friend.

And since I'm already here I'll just respond to your comment on my blog as well...I basically melted when he played Unfold, I too had never been to a concert where he'd done that one (six Mraz concerts and this was the first time he'd done it when I was there!). Those other four would have been great additions to the set, but it would have been quite sad had you missed all that.

Bridgete said...

Oh, I forgot! I might come out to the craft fair, it depends on whether Nessa wants to go too and is available that day and can drive us. I may not have money to buy a bag but I'll at least come say hi and browse a bit. =)

Bridgete said...

I'm just commenting away here. What Qdoba are you thinking of in Boston that's not convenient? There's one on Northeastern's campus which, unless Matt changed jobs, is not too far from where he works so maybe if you're picking him up or something...although Huntington Ave is kind of irritating and it's a little insane to find parking near Northeastern, but it's not usually impossible, most of the students just pay for a parking pass and park in the lots. Or get a T pass through the school (we get a discount). Granted, the Northeastern one is not convenient if you just want to run out for some Qdoba, and it does look like you have to go to Cambridge if you were just running out straight from home...but still. =)

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

Thanks SO MUCH for all the compliments everyone! I am getting really excited for this fair and it would be fantastic to see some of you stop on by yea :)

If you get close enough to Jason to say hi to him for me Ginger then do me another favor and make out with him for me too would ya? heehee Looking forward to your premonition blog!

Oh Kate I feel for you there, by hand zipper had to be the most frustrating experience :( boo!

Wait, there is a Qdoba in Cambridge? That is right around the corner...off to the website to look that up, thanks Bridgete!

mandy said...

I'm so jealous that you've seen jason twice this year! He played near me a few days ago, but it sold out before I could get tickets. it was actually 40 minutes away, but that's the closest he's ever been. i am hoping to see him in richmond after thanksgiving. it's a three hour drive, but i'm always up for a road trip.

thanks for all of your encouraging comments! i actually never heard of bryan greenberg before a few weeks ago. i've seen him on one tree hill and october road, but i didn't know his name. he's a musician as well as an actor and my friend was dying to see him, so i went along. I love all music live, and this was no exception :)

Suldog said...

Well, when Mom tags you, you have to do your duty! Nicely done, of course.

Here comes my shameless plug - Speaking of breakfast (which you did) my piece today is about a chance breakfast with Kevin Youkilis of the Red Sox!

Feel free to make a similarly out-of-context comment at my place!

High Desert Diva said...

I need to do your mom's tag too...

Your bags look great...love the name for the diaper bag!

Octavine Illustration said...

love all the new creations!~
and i rarely eat until 11 as well.

Rosebud Collection said...

Love your tags answers Jenn..You are so cute..Your work is just beautiful and you should be proud..My #3 daughter had a water birth and of course the little darling is named after me..
Lots of luck with your show..I will be rooting for you..So happy you are feeling better..

Karen said...

Hi Jenn!

I tagged you for the dreaded "Ghosting it Forward" game. (I'm SORRY!)

Come see what it's all about - and please forgive me! LOL

http://ohboykarencooks.blogspot.com

Karen

Sahara said...

Love your tag answers Jenn, especially #4, I can so relate! And your bags are awesome! What a talent you have! Oh you're going to be so successful at your show! :)

LindaCCC said...

Jenn,

Thank you for commenting on my page. I was actually thinking today to do a personal note instead of info on my shop so as soon as I'm not being tugged at by my 2 yr. old, I'll get right to it.

I've got a lot of work to do on my blog and don't know how to do it. I can't figure out how to get more than one picture on my page and the list goes on and on.

I really like the bag that you created for your mom's friend and I like the make up bag.

Good luck with the fair. I'll keep checking your blog to see how you did.
Linda

Chris Stone said...

deja vu is like floating in the universe for a moment...

have fun at the fair! i'm sure you will!