Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Following Through

In a prior blog tag I stated that the three areas of my body I would work on were my teeth, brain & lungs and that I was taking steps to do so. Yesterday was a wonderful day -- I had my first dental visit in over six years (to work on the teeth) and also received my digital download of Jason’s new studio release We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things. (to feed my brain). It may seem as if nothing that happened yesterday would be beneficial to my lungs but since everything in this world is truly connected, read on to discover the significance.

The dentist office -- the most feared place on Earth in my twisted brain -- is where I spent well over an hour yesterday morning both confirming and dispelling why I have felt trepidation for that vinyl reclining chair for so long. In general I am a positive person and go for that silver lining most of the time but when the squeal of a drill blends with the gurgling sound of a tube sucking up all kinds of things I do not want to imagine coming out of my mouth, it is difficult for me to find the happy affirmation in the now. My Hygienist kept asking if I was alright while she poked, prodded and scraped me until I wanted to cry but I just kept my eyes closed, concentrated on my breath and mumbled “mmm hmm”. When she finished pulling the scaler over my chompers, and I miraculously still had all of them intact, the doctor handed me a huge pack of white strips for my teeth while congratulating me on quitting smoking. I sighed through a thankful smile realizing the worst part of my day was now behind me and I could go home to swish with salt water while I improved my mood over some new music.

The good news is I am a huge fan of Jason’s music so even though this is a studio album I did rather enjoy it. The bad news is I am a huge fan of Jason’s so knowing his live stuff intimately possibly skews my perception of how awesome this album actually is. I listened to it a few times yesterday and this morning wrote a quick soapbox review to Trayce via email. It seemed an appropriate, although raw, impression to share so here is the email word for word:

I am mixed on the album so far but more loving it than not of course. For example I love Coyotes but really do not care for the chorus of the song. I don't feel like it fits for some reason. It is like he wrote a chorus to a song, then wrote a song with no chorus & said oh I know let's put these together & record it for the album. Make it Mine & Dynamo so far are my favorite upbeat tunes & I already fell in love with If It Kills Me & A Beautiful Mess before so those are still way up there (amazing lyrics in all 4 and great tunes to match). I am really bummed about Lucky it just doesn't do it for me but it is the new single (just heard it on Sirius 9 The Pulse a couple days ago). I really don't feel it between them, it is catchy but will likely become one of those songs (along with I'm Yours sadly just like The Remedy) that I will forward just about every time I put on the album for the next 3 years because it is going to be severely overplayed. Regardless most of the lyrics are clever on the album but I feel that there are definitely songs he wrote specifically to get radio play just to appease the record company while others he did fight for to have on the album insisting they would not be a single but he really wanted them (I get that out of Live High, Only Human & Love For A Child) then there are fun tracks that he loved to write and record but are just filler songs (Details, Butterfly)

Now that my jaw is feeling super, I will be singing along with these new grooves at the top of my lungs today, all day. This is the part where the neighbors wish I had not quit smoking for shear lung capacity restrictions.

16 comments:

Suldog said...

Congrats on the quitting. I have to, sometime soon. Have never gone more than two days since I was 14. NOT going to be easy...

Insofar as the teeth are concerned, here is some reading material that will hopefully keep you on the right path:

http://jimsuldog.blogspot.com/2008/01/teeth.html

High Desert Diva said...

Brave girl for the visit to the dentist. I haven't been now for 11 years. Bad. I keep telling myself, why go? I've never had one single cavity. But I know I should...

Sorry to hear Jason's new release didn't put you over the moon.

Bridgete said...

And that's why I don't listen to the radio. I learn about new music through other people or through Napster's various ways of suggesting music to me based on what I like. And I make sure to stay in the loop so I know when my favorite artists are releasing new albums. I just got tired of getting overplayed on songs I like. Like I'm Yours, which puts me in such a happy mood every time I listen to it. I don't want to lose the happy feeling just because I heard the song too much on the radio. =)

Anyway, good job for going to the dentist. I haven't had dental insurance for three years so I haven't gone in three years. I'll go again when I work for someone who wants to cover it. My theory is, I'm not going to pay through the nose to go do something I hate doing anyway. I'd rather use the money to take the cat to the vet. And we all know what an ordeal that can be. =)

Rosebud Collection said...

Can't stand going to the dentist..You know what makes me laugh..they talk to you and your mouth is jammed with all the stuff and then expect an answer..Who are they kidding? I think they do that on purpose. We are so busy trying to answer, we don't feel the pain..Method to their madness..

Julie Mc. said...

Hi -

I'm feeling a bit better today, thanks! Slowly but surely! :) I hope you have a great weekend, too. Glad your dentist visit went well! ;) Later, Julie

Bree said...

I swear I'm the only Mraz fan alive who doesn't have the record yet...I just paid tuition and bought books for my summer externship, so the cashflow is a bit tight...hahaha! I liked your review though, plus reminded me to see the dentist while I'm in town. Thanks! :D

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

Sul thanks, it actually was easier than I expected and I don't miss it at all (20 year smoker here!). I will get to your link this afternoon after work!

C it scared the begeezus out of me but had to be done & now I am loving my teeth!! I do enjoy the album, maybe because he previewed all the songs before the release is why I'm not jumping for joy since they weren't "new". Or maybe I am just over my celebracrush.

Bridg I am a huge fan of myspace as a musical discovery tool now. I opened my profile up to bands & am discovering SO MUCH talent out there. Amazing stuff!

rosebud lol! so true she asked so many questions, they must take a class in how to decipher mumbles

Julie Mc glad to hear it! Keep drinking tea & water hydration is key for sickness :)

Bree IS ALIVE!!! Was missing you girl lol! Glad you have come back up for air :) Of course you are still going to be a busy gal this summer, no rest for the wicked isn't that what they say ;)

Julie said...

I used to not mind the dentist. Really. I never had a cavity, had healthy gums, shiny teeth. Then sometime between the years of braces & retainers & "cemented" retainers (ugh), I swear the orthodontist ruined my crooked teeth. Sure he straighened them, but in the process, glue on my teeth collected plaque my toothbrush couldn't remove, and removed enamel, encouraging cavities. Then for a while there between college graduation and getting "established" there was a lack of insurance... then a lack of time for self. The end result: when I finally got to the dentist about 4 years later, I had a slew of little cavities. I can withstand the dental work. But what I hate is the "shame on you" tone I get. Oh well.

That said, YAY!!! for singing to WSWDWST!... Give those lungs a workout & know I'm doing the same. :)

Octavine Illustration said...

sing loud my dear and maybe i will hear you....

HollywoodFix said...

I'm glad you quit smoking mom, but now, I have started up again. I missed it sooooo much. I know I shouldn't, but I do it anyways.

And the dentist is a scary place. When I had braces (sigh) I refused to have any shots in my mouth, I hate needles. So I took some pills to knock me out while they pulled my teeth out, but I took the pills too early, because someone messed up my appointment time, and I woke up when the teeth were being pulled out of my mouth. Ew.
Second and, I agree with you for the most part on the new Mraz album, but for me, I don't listen to the words, even though I know them. I just put that album on and relax.

Third and, go see my new tattoo in my new blog.
:]

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

Luckily my new dentist didn't shame me Julie. If he had it probably would be another 7 years before going back. lol No insurance here either but I just couldn't care anymore, it had to be done :~D

OK Cara, you asked for it but I assure you it will be way off key!

Stevie I am on my way over there now to see your new tat :~D I just decided last night I am getting my first for my 35th b'day which is this year. I am tired of being a baby about it. If I can make it through that cleaning I can certainly make it through a little ink! I have been carrying this picture of what I want around with me for like 9 years so it is definitely time!!!

Judi FitzPatrick said...

Glad to know you are still off the butts. Sorry Mraz didn't knock your socks off - guess you'll just have to accept what is and wait for the next one.
As for the dentist, the more the you the less it will bother you - you know, just like using your muscles, you have to build up the endurance to the sound of the dental instruments.
Love ya, Mum

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

You bet I am not smoking, that is so last decade to me now :)

Not that it didn't knock my socks off, just that I had already been too exposed to it to find it out of this world on release date. No matter what he is still Mr. Talent in my book and you know I'm listening to it every day! There are just some I forward so I don't sigh at them later.

draagonfly said...

ACK... Dentist... ::shudder::

I already wrote this to you in email, but for the public record, I'm glad Mraz released the EPs as well as the CD. I like most of the songs better raw on the EPs, but there are a couple on the CD that are well done. :) haha

Chris Stone said...

No do not see Marathon Man!

HollywoodFix said...

Yay! You're losing your tattoo virginity. That is more of celebration! I need to see it when it's done.

:]